Sunday

Change must come to our doorsteps

What a week to remember Barak Obama and his victory for the persecuted, unloved, hopeless, abused, victimised, tormented, negleted, refused, denied, rejected and most of all victory over racial inequality that has prevailed in the civilised world for centuries under the guises one could not find space to write on.

I happen to be one of the many who has been moved by Obama's speeches, and been delivered by his eloquence and that has changed me forever. I have seen and listened to great leaders like Nelson Mandela, Joshua Nkomo to mention a few. These are man who have and continue to inspire me in my works for my organisation and for humanity as a whole but Obama surpasses these great man by miles in the way my heart and thinking has been touched. I am a new man, this feels like I have been reborn similar to the day I accepted Christ as my lord and personal saviour. Change as Obama states it is coming to the world and the world must accept it. Soon after Obama's recent election victory Trevor Philips raised eyebrows by accusing the ruling British labour party for being Institutional Racist, Why? I live that answer to the British equality watchdog chief. It is mind buffling that not so long ago the Metropolitan Police was branded institutional racist by Sir William MacPherson published report on the failed investigation into black teenager Stephen Lawrence's 's murder, in 1999.

On the tenth anniversary of the murder of black teenager Stephen Lawrence, the head of the Metropolitan police's anti-racism unit said she believed the Met was still "institutionally racist".
Commander Cressida Dick, in charge of the Met's diversity directorate, said in an interview with the Independent: "I would say there is not an institution out there that could say, 'We are not racist'."

What is Institutional Racism?

"The collective failure of an organisation to provide an appropriate and professional service to people because of their colour, culture or ethnic origin which can be seen or detected in processes; attitudes and behaviour which amount to discrimination through unwitting prejudice, ignorance, thoughtlessness and racist stereotyping which disadvantages minority ethnic people." From the Macpherson report.

If Obama's change is coming to the world then I will be the first to cry loud and invite this change to my doorstep where it is needed most. I recently had an encounter with some british authorities who used coercion intimidation and threats so I could submit to their demands even though I and them knew that I have a solicitor whom they denied me to access. This institution employs officials who continue to violate international laws everyday as I speak. When Barack Obama speaks of Change I remeber the words of Clare Xanthos , because she puts this nicely. She says, after citing a few statistics on race disadvantage: … most British policy reports and newspapers simply identify “institutional racism” as the culprit for these discrimination statistics, whilst overlooking the reality that behind the shadowy concept of institutional racism are individual acts of hidden racism.

Those who know me know ecxactly what I mean, I have evidence of abuse by authorities in this country called Britain, a country that is meant to be a model of those that stand to defend human rights. It is diffucult to comprehend the thought of such victimisation especially within these shores having spent almost the whole of my entire life under every sort of abuse. I am one who cannot be lectured on human rights abuse as having been born in Rhodesia under Ian Smith's regime and worse, grew up under the abuse of Robert Mugabe's Zanu PF regime, and also experienced a bit of South Africa's apartheid and later became a man still being victimised by Robert Mugabe and his regime so I know what I am talking about.

In Obama, I see hope and many more victories being one, not only for the Aamerican people but also for this Mthwakazian Zimbabwean man with a young family called me.

No comments:

Post a Comment